“Africa’s Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want”
Engineering Africa’s Agro-Industrial Transformation for Economic Prosperity and Sustainable Development
Date: 21-26 September 2020
NAF Conference Centre and Guest House, Abuja, Nigeria
AfroAgEng – the Pan African Society for Agricultural Engineering (PASAE) and the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers (NIAE) are focusing this joint 2020 International Conference on adequately apprehending the wide dimensions, the multi-faceted challenges, the abundant emerging opportunities and prospects for agricultural and rural transformation in Africa. Two key points are germane:
- The future of African agriculture is in technology, youths, entrepreneurship and private-public-partnership capital. Hence, leveraging both available modern and emerging technologies and venture capital to attract and sustain both youth engagement in agriculture and agricultural value chains has become imperative, and is indeed already happening.
- None of the critical stakeholders and actors in agriculture can successfully operate alone, except in an atmosphere of acknowledgement of the complimentary role of others. The conference therefore welcomes participation from all actors/stakeholders in the field of agriculture, farming and agro-industry.
Africa’s Agenda 2063 and the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Programme
Conference Theme and Sub-Themes
The PASAE-NIAE 2020 International Conference aims to harness an emerging global movement for Africa’s renaissance through knowledge and practice-driven agriculture and agriculture-led industrialization. Africa’s potentials in human, agricultural and natural resources is significant but largely underexploited and underutilized. The aim of the conference is to create a new momentum for concerted action through the following theme and sub-themes.
Engineering Africa’s Agro-Industrial Transformation for Sustainable Development and Economic Prosperity
- Towards 2063 – Strategies for exploiting Africa’s demographic dividend, encouraging the youths in agri-business and attaining key SGDs; infrastructure development, food security, poverty reduction and creation of decent jobs.
- Sustainable pathways to Africa’s structural transformation through agro-equipment development, driven by local capacity and content, agro-industrialisation and thriving agricultural value chains
- Boosting agricultural productivity and economic diversification through mechanisation, precision farmings soil conservation, irrigation and livestock transformation.
- Development and application of appropriate technologies to reduce post-harvest losses, sustainable energy development and value engineering in the agricultural value chains
- Agriculture, smart farming and the 4th industrial revolution – exploiting modern intelligent technologies (Drones, AI, Robotics and Machine Learning, etc) in farming and rural transformation
- Human capital for modern agriculture – transforming tertiary institution curricula/programmes and pedagogies to meet the challenges of Agenda 2063.
- Mobilising global partnerships for climate action/climate-smart farming, conservation of Africa’s agro-ecology, biodiversity, forestry and for dryland farming.
Professional Development Workshops and Masterclasses
To harness the momentum of this convocation, there will also be Six High-Level Professional Training Workshops/Masterclasses running concurrently on the first day of the Conference, Monday Sept 21st (3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon), which will include the following:
- High-Level Professional Development Workshop on post-harvest engineering and the development of export processing zones/agro-industrial or knowledge parks to boost agro-industrial development
- High-Level Professional Development Workshop on harnessing Africa’s water resources and modern irrigation technologies to boost agricultural productivity
- Masterclass on effective use of big data, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology in enhancing farm productivity and sustainability
- Masterclass on strategic engagement of digital technologies, youth and women in agriculture and rural transformation
- High-Level Professional Development Workshop on transforming tertiary institution curricula/programmes and pedagogies to promote quality graduates to meet the Agenda 2063 challenges.
- Masterclass on the principles and approaches for training and practice in intellectual property management for engineering professionals.
The Conference will feature an Opening Session and series of Plenaries, Panel Discussions, Special Sponsored Sessions/Workshops, and Parallel Technical Sessions to enable members and other stakeholders present their works and emerging innovations. There will also be exhibition of technologies and innovations throughout the conference duration, as well as industrial visits to interesting agricultural development projects and sites in Nigeria. There shall be a welcome cocktail for delegates, as well as Gala and Awards evening to recognize and honour individuals, organizations and corporate entities who have made significant contributions to the agricultural and agro-industrial development of Nigeria and Africa.
The conference will hold at the ultra-modern NAF Conference Centre and Guest House, Jahi District Abuja, Nigeria.