The NIAE was established in 1975 as the Nigerian Society of Agricultural Engineers, NSAE, with the following objectives:
• To promote the science and art of engineering in Agriculture.
• To encourage original research.
• To foster and promote Agricultural Engineering education.
• To advance in every possible way the standards of Agricultural Engineering.
• To promote healthy interaction between members and allied professionals.
• To encourage the enhancement of professional competence of its members.
In 1999, a merger of the NSAE with the Nigerian Society of Engineers, NSE occurred thus, the NSAE transformed into the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers, NIAE, a division of the NSE.
The Institution organizes annual conferences, which have transformed into an international event. Since 2003, the Institution also started an annual public lecture series.
The Institution has a journal, the Journal of Agricultural Engineering Technology, which is published biannually and a quarterly newsletter.